Every mother returned from the hospital, asks why a child started to be capricious, cry, sulk? And remembering the words of the girlfriends or grandmothers that colic all else fails, will be held for three months, themselves diagnose the baby: here they are — colic! And then another, and the therapist is in no hurry to calm down, they say, hold on! So what to do? How to make life easier for the child? And is it possible to avoid the occurrence of colic in infants? A lot of questions! Let’s try to understand the order.
Colic in babies: what is it?
Colic is gas accumulation in the tummy of the baby. A large accumulation of gases causes spasms, which cause the child pain anxiety. The child’s body adapts to a new life outside the womb. If the child receives food through the umbilical cord, now you have to work hard to get enough. And with food, be it breast milk or formula in the body populated by new bacteria. Accordingly, other food and will be digested differently.
Colic and gas in newborns: why do they appear?
- The formation of the digestive tract. Bloating in newborns may be due to the fact that the gastrointestinal tract of the baby is still developing and not fully formed.
- Breastfeeding. Possible colic in infants occur due to improper latching of baby to breast. The child may not take the breast during the feeding to swallow air along with milk. This happens bloating and, as a consequence, intestinal colic.
- The nature of the child. There is a possibility that the newborn has a tummy ache due to the fact that he was crying, screaming, excited, swallowed air. There are kids who cry a little and do not require attention, and there are kids with character, therefore the reason for colic may be the temperament of the child.
- Nutrition moms. If the child is breastfed, then you should know what diet for nursing mothers. Colic in infants may be due to poor nutrition.
- The mixture for feeding the baby. If the child on artificial feeding, it might make sense to change the formula or more time to make sure of the correctness of its preparation.
- The mode of feeding. Try to exclude probability of occurrence of colic due to non-compliance with the feeding regime. The views of pediatricians disagree. Someone continues to believe that feeding should be strictly according to the mode (the interval not less than three hours) because the food has time to digest in a short time and there are disorders in the digestive tract. While others see this belief as “last century” and offer to feed “on demand”. How to your baby — you decide. But if all else fails, one day you can and experiment.
Colic newborn symptoms
- The baby cries and draws the fingers on the hands and feet, lifts knees to the midsection.
- The baby cries loudly while blushing face.
- Occurs stomach bloating, audible rumbling. After the bubbles went away, and the child calms down.
- Colic in babies can begin approximately on the tenth day of life and last up to three to four months.
- Usually colic baby chair regular and unchanged.
- Often colic are babies, quickly gaining weight.
10 tips on how to ease the pain of baby colic
Be sure to do all the procedures, taking the baby in his arms. The kid will relax and will not have anything to fear.
Use our tips and you will definitely relieve the pain your baby with colic!
I advise you also read our article “Colic in the newborn: treatment and prevention” and you will learn:
- what drugs are usually prescribed by the doctors from colic for newborns,
- 7 tips for preventing colic,
- and if it’s not colic, then what?
Colic in babies: 10 tips on how to ease the pain baby