As a rule, when elective caesarean section, the expectant mother are offered to decide what kind of anesthesia will be used during the operation. Options may be few, one of which epidural anesthesia. She, as well as other techniques of anesthesia has advantages and disadvantages. What is the danger of epidural anesthesia for cesarean section and how effective is it?
To start with the fact that you have a choice. Because if necessary, emergency cesarean section, mothers choice is usually not. If you birth something went wrong and we are talking about saving the lives of mother and child, doctors use the option of anesthesia, which is preferable here and now.
But you are preparing for a planned cesarean section and are still unable to choose. Therefore, we focus in detail on each of the possible types of anesthesia, which offers modern medicine.
What better anaesthesia for caesarean section
There are three types of anesthesia:
- Epidural anesthesia for caesarean section. Performed primarily in the course of routine operations. Anesthesiologist clears the back really cooling solution and introduces the needle into the spine. Then the needle is removed, and in its place a thin catheter, through which the spinal cord enters the drug. It causes an almost complete loss of sensation of the body from the chest to the knees, which can be observed within a few hours after birth.
- Spinal anaesthesia for caesarean section. This version of the anesthesia is primarily used in cases of emergency. Difference from epidural anesthesia is that the drug is administered into the cerebrospinal fluid and in smaller doses. The woman also is awake and feels no pain. But needs constant correction of the condition for the possibility of reducing the anesthetic effect and oxygen mask.
- General anesthesia. The patient is in a state of artificial sleep and wakes up when it’s all done. But the risk of complications of General anesthesia significantly higher than the other types of anesthesia.
Every anesthesia for cesarean section has its advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, it is very important to discuss with the doctor who will be delivering your baby, the use of a technology.
Indications for use of epidural anaesthesia for caesarean section
This type of anesthesia may not be assigned to everyone. If a woman has low blood pressure, there is a risk of blood loss, there is damage to the nervous system or severe deformation of the spine, epidural anesthesia will not be performed. But these contraindications doctors refer rather to the General, which prohibit the use of other drugs. So pay more attention to those States when epidural anesthesia is vital.
- Preeclampsia or violation of placental blood flow. When it occurs, occurs oxygen starvation of the fetus, which can lead to severe defects of its development. Epidural anesthesia allows to improve placental and renal blood flow.
- Pathology of the cardiovascular system. A woman is forbidden to bear most of the risk of complications due to high load on the heart. Anesthesia allows the heart to work in a familiar rhythm.
One of the dangers of epidural anesthesia lies in the possibility of a drop in blood pressure mothers. But it quickly corrected by the introduction of appropriate medication. Another risk is the incorrect position of the child or the oppression of the fetus. But if cesarean section is planned, but not urgent, such situations are extremely rare.
If we talk about the feelings during and after administration of anesthesia, prior to surgery, they will not be pleasant, but not painful. During insertion of the needle, the doctor can catch spinal nerve, causing the leg cramp or the numbness. All these are normal symptoms of the procedure, which should not be afraid. In rare cases, paralysis, lesion of the spinal nerve, the occurrence of infectious diseases.
General anesthesia or epidural anesthesia for caesarean section — which is better?
Modern medicine offers an epidural as the best alternative to General anesthesia. The risk from performance of the last ten times higher than that of local anesthesia. At first glance it seems that it is better to sleep for a couple hours and then woke up and happily hugging her baby. In a period of deep sleep possible sudden changes in pressure, and cardiac arrhythmia mothers in its Wake revealed much more quickly. And also quickly eliminated without a significant threat to the life and health of two patients.
Choose your option of anesthesia for cesarean section very carefully. And do it with friends or with her husband, and with your doctor. Because the doctor not only need to tell you about proper nutrition and sex during pregnancy. And in order to preserve the health of a young mother and baby and make the happiness of motherhood is really full!
Epidural anesthesia for caesarean section: video
Epidural anesthesia for caesarean section — pros and cons