Women’s website “ToKnow365.top” already repeatedly touched on the theme of health, including the health of pregnant women. Let’s talk today about the flu during pregnancy. How can you protect yourself from this insidious disease of the future mother?
First, a few words about what the flu.
Influenza is an acute viral infection that occurs with the body of intoxication and defeat of the respiratory tract. The flu is transmitted by airborne droplets.
Outbreaks happen in the cold season (October to March), but getting the flu is possible in the warm time of the year.
Causative agent influenza is a virus which has 3 types: A, b, C. In the external environment, the viruses die quickly, but in the mucus from the nasopharynx may persist for several days (for example, handkerchiefs, towels, toys, utensils).
Pregnant women are very susceptible to influenza. This is due to the General decline in immunity, microflora imbalance, medication and countless trips to clinics for tests and transmission specialists.
How to recognize influenza?
The incubation period is 1-2 days. At this time some are already feeling the onset of the disease by circumstantial evidence and General condition.
In a typical course of the flu the first signs are chills, weakness, fever up to 39 – 40⁰S, fatigue, headaches, muscle and joint pain. Then appear stuffy nose, sneezing, scratchy and sore throat.
If the flu is progressing without complications, the duration of the disease ranges from 6 to 10 days. After the disease is often marked by weakness, loss of appetite, sleep disturbance and health.
How to treat flu during pregnancy?
Treatment of influenza during pregnancy should be correct and timely. Necessarily need to consult a gynecologist and therapist.
In uncomplicated influenza pregnant woman enough to be treated at home.
List important components of treatment of influenza during pregnancy.
- Food must be complete and fortified. It is advisable to take food in small portions. It is good to include in the diet fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Definitely need to keep drinking regime, drink water, juices. Especially good for the treatment of cranberry and lingonberry fruit drinks, tea with raspberry or lemon. A total of drink a day you need to two liters of fluid. Don’t forget that during pregnancy may develop swelling, so as to increase the amount of liquid should be used with caution.
- As antiviral drugs to treat flu during pregnancy allowed Viferon candles. Drops Grippferon effective the 1st day of the disease when the virus is localized in the nasal mucosa. As prevention you can use oxolinic ointment in the nose.
- Temperature can make the products based on paracetamol. Recall that during pregnancy is strictly contraindicated aspirin as it can cause various bleeding and hemorrhage.
- Often pregnant women ascorbic acid is administered up to 1 g per day. It is useful for immunity and to strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
- When nasal congestion, you should use drops and a nasal spray based on sea salt (such Aquamaris), to massage the nose wings. If the nose is not breathing, you can try children’s nazivin or to consult with your doctor about the choice of drug.
- When sore and sore throat you need a throat to rinse soda solution, chamomile, calendula tincture. Approved for use during pregnancy lozenges Faringosept, I have a spray Tantum Verde, Bioparoks.
- Antibiotics for treatment of influenza in pregnant women is connected only when complications arise.
Well after the infection to make pregnant fetal ultrasound and dopplerometry to exclude the presence of defects and growth retardation of the fetus.
What are the dangerous complications of the flu during pregnancy?
Complications of flu can be very dangerous for a pregnant woman (pneumonia, otitis, tonsillitis, pyelonephritis, etc.) and to the fetus.
The flu virus in early pregnancy can cause deformities of the fetus, malformations, spontaneous abortion. In the later stages can be premature birth, intrauterine fetal death. Can be born weak or sick children.
Complications can occur during childbirth: painful contractions, retained placenta and its parts in the uterus, hypotonic bleeding.
How to avoid flu: prevention during pregnancy
Prevention during an epidemic of influenza are divided into General measures and specific drug prevention.
- General activities are well known and include: hardening of the body, exposure to fresh air, regular airing of a premise with carrying out wet cleaning, frequent hand washing with soap and water. A pregnant woman should be possible to isolate ourselves from contact with sick people, less likely to go to the movies, theaters, concerts during the epidemic. Good to wear cotton-gauze or disposable mask, need to change them every 2 hours. When cold it is advisable to use disposable tissues to avoid re-infection with a virus.
- Drug prevention: the risk of infection with the flu effective method of ascorbic acid and multivitamins. For emergency prevention pregnant women can use nose drops Grippferon in the Oxolinic ointment in the nose. Very effective is the use of onions and garlic. If there is no taste aversions, they can eat or inhale the vapors from the fresh cut, place in powdered form in the room.
- Specific prevention is vaccination. In recent years, increasingly used inactivated vaccine that contains no living microorganisms. If the pregnancy is planned, it’s good for 1 — 1.5 months to make a flu vaccine. Also, a vaccine approved for use during pregnancy, but not many go to it because I’m afraid of the negative impact on the fetus.
In conclusion, we note that there is no harmless drugs. Sometimes the most ordinary rules of hygiene help to prevent the disease.
It is worth remembering that if it happened during pregnancy a woman ill with the flu, you need to seek medical help. Also at work you need to take sick leave and not to carry the flu on their feet, to avoid complications.
Health to you and your baby!
The author – Svetlana Shevnina, site ToKnow365.top
Flu during pregnancy: symptoms, treatment, prevention