Remember how fun laughing kids on the beach or in the pool, and what a pleasure flop into the water. Kids really love to swim. But the wrong behavior of parents during the first “swim” can lead to chronic dislike of the baby with this procedure. You need daily tears and cries, instead of merry gurgle? Then learn the 6 main rules of how to bathe a newborn baby!
The first bathing the baby usually is not the day of discharge from the hospital. Take the time to dip it in the bath until then, until healed umbilical wound. The immune system of the child is not yet ready to meet “the inhabitants of the water (even boiled) water, and the open umbilical wound will become a gateway for infection. For baby care during the first two weeks use wet wipes or water-dampened cotton swab.
Useful tips how to bathe a newborn baby
To the first acquaintance with the water treatment is successful, prepare for it in advance.
- Use a special baby bath. It has a compact size that allows you to always keep it clean. And dispense a small amount of water for bathing.
- Boil water. During the first months of baby’s life it is advisable to bathe him in boiled water. Most of the microorganisms that live in the water (it may be Salmonella, E. coli, Legionella and even deadly sirignano) are killed when water is heated to 80-100 °C. And then water treatment will be safe.
- The most comfortable water temperature for bathing of newborn — 37 °C. In the future, you can somewhat reduce it (to 36.6 °C), if you notice that it is uncomfortable. In any case, to determine at what temperature to bathe a newborn, you have to help the thermometer, not your hand or elbow.
- Use a slide or a baby hammock. Earlier moms and dads were forced to stand over the bath with the baby in a bent state for 20-30 minutes. And then — barely unbend. Hill for bathing the newborn ensures its correct position in the water while your hands remain free.
- Limit the use of detergents. Despite the fact that bathing the baby daily is recommended, bath treatments, Soaps and shampoos desirable only once every 7-10 days. Banned Antibacterials, which have an aggressive effect on the skin, and Soaps with harsh perfumes. Stop your choice on the special shampoo, gels and Soaps for kids.
- Be careful with additives. It is considered that the newborn should be bathed in water with addition of manganese or decoction of chamomile. Today, however, pediatricians recommend not to do that, since both funds too actively dry your baby’s delicate skin. If the baby has diaper rash, add water, broth or series of elecampane. And if everything is in order, bathe in ordinary water.
How to bathe a newborn baby — the algorithm of actions
Swimming and hardening
Do you know how to bathe a newborn baby safely his temper, normalize appetite and sleep? For this you will need:
- A large bath. The water temperature first procedure should be 37 °C, with each subsequent can lower it to 26 °C. Note that this is only possible if the baby will move actively, rather than lying in the hands of the Pope.
- Rubber ring for the neck. You can purchase in the baby store. It fits over the neck of the baby and support his head above water. In this circle the child can freely move his arms and legs to swim without the risk of choking.
Bath time can be from 5 to 40 minutes. How much do you think a newborn is asleep after such water procedures? A minimum of 6 hours that will allow all family members to relax and to sleep!
In any case, listen to the opinion of his crumbs. He definitely will tell you if he liked water treatments, a cry or a smile!
How to bathe a newborn baby: tips and procedures