Beautiful and competent speech – a very important indicator of intellectual development. The richer your child’s vocabulary – the more developed it grows, the easier he is learning everything new! How to improve vocabulary in a child – tell original women’s website “ToKnow365.top“.
The child’s vocabulary: the norm for every age
In every age, the child must possess a certain minimum of words and actively use them. In the first years of life to calculate a child’s vocabulary is easy. Of course, many children far exceed these standards – of course, this is good.
- Five-year-old kid is allowed to say 4-5 words (mom, dad, give over).
- One and a half years vocabulary expands to a dozen or two words.
- A two year old child have to operate about fifty words. Of course, he pronounces their distorted, but the mere knowledge of these words suggests that in the “database” they already have!
- Three years old – from 250 to 750 words.
- Four years – about one and a half-two thousand words.
- To six years (the first class) the child should have three or four thousand words.
- The adult vocabulary is usually about one hundred thousand words.
But there is this point: even babies don’t understand a lot more words of the native language, rather than use in your own speech. Child 3-4 years understands almost all common words, although talking is much easier than adults.
However, this recognition of the words in the hearing is not considered vocabulary.
How to increase your child’s vocabulary?
It is easy to guess that the vocabulary of the native language that a child knows, is filled through fellowship with others and reading any texts.
Before the child will start confidently to read (it’s usually 6-7 years old), speaking his only source of replenishment of the vocabulary. That everyday communication of the people around them forms the set of words that a child will use in everyday life.
Even if later he learns many more words (from books, from teachers, etc.) – there is a risk that it will not actively use it, it will remain simple and poor range of words used.
Children are very much adopt that style of communication, which is accepted in the family and the social environment in which they spend a lot of time. This also applies to the set of actively used words.
“Outgrow” their family environment may actively reading the child – if the language of the books becomes more interesting and more important than everyday language, which he hears from people around. But not all the children enthusiastically read “voraciously” and compulsory reading rarely leads to positive changes in oral speech.
So the main advice to parents how to expand your child’s vocabulary – and enrich your own speech (not just in conversations with the child, but also in communication with other relatives, friends, etc.).
In communication with the baby, try to watch how and what you say (probably the results of observations of their speech will surprise yourself!)
- I rarely use one-word answers, staccato phrases. Surely, you will not manage without them, but if it is possible to use more complex language constructs – do not be lazy to do it!
- Children can and should say “complicated”. Children have a great memory – don’t be afraid to load it with new words and concepts! Even when you think that the child will not understand explanations with the use of some words and terms do not rush to adapt the “children’s language”! Or just say it “grown-up” (perhaps a little out of context will know what you had in mind, and at the same time you learn a new word) or explain the meaning of new words. Actually, not so difficult to explain, for example, what “atmosphere” or “circulation” — and the child will get new knowledge!
- As early as possible give up the baby talk, “Malyatko-Granny” language – especially with the sound distortion of the words (“AV-AV” instead of “dog”, “Posel-Posel” instead of “go-go”, etc.). At the stage when the child learns his native language, it is extremely important to hear and remember all the words correctly!
- Try to speak nicely. Pick up in speech a variety of synonyms, use of different adjectives and metaphors. Better to find a more precise definition for something, than to use a generalized “stamp” (for example, instead of “pretty picture” — “a mysterious night landscape with the moon, which silvers the waves of the dark sea”).
But reading as a factor of enrichment of vocabulary of a child from the accounts can not be written off.
Pick books of different directions – folk tales, prose and poetry by various authors, popular scientific publications, etc. Let the kid compares different styles of presentation, remembers new words (from the obsolete Russian words to scientific terms and words of foreign origin). The same can advise on the choice of movies, cartoons, TV shows, etc.
When the child is too young to teach him to read early, read aloud!
And, do not stop reading aloud once he starts to make out the letters yet confident cursory reading myself, it is impossible to say that the child is fully involved in the book.
Advice site sympaty.net — motivate the child to speak, not in monosyllables, and the narrative. Ask him to retell the plot of books or any vital occasion, to describe what object, landscape or person, etc.
Ask him to clarify the answers to different questions: how can you say it differently, what word precisely describes the subject, what more details he could see and pass on the word.
To enrich the vocabulary of the child are the numerous verbal games (e.g. “three-Liter jar”: players take turns to describe objects on the hidden letter, which can be put in a glass jar – the player who in turn can’t think of any other word).
Author – Dasha Blinova, site ToKnow365.top
How to increase your child’s vocabulary?