Jewelry handmade is a trend that should not be overlooked! And today website sympaty.net invites you to master the trendy technique of creating handmade unique jewelry – epoxy resin. Master-class “Decorating with dried flowers in epoxy resin” can be performed without any special skills! The website sympaty.net offers create a very elegant kit that will remind you of the romantic style of shabby: choker with lace trim and delicate earrings.
Materials: what you’ll need
For the master class on jewelry with epoxy you will need the following materials (everything you can buy in stores to create jewelry):
- Satin ribbon or ribbon with a width of 1.5 – 2 cm – about half a meter. If you want the most accurate calculation of the required length of the ribbon is the circumference of your neck plus 15 cm.
- Lace with a width of not more than 1 cm (you can have) is about one meter. The exact calculation is double the circumference of your neck plus 2-3 cm.
- Accessories for earrings and a Central element of the necklace: one more frame (it can be the basis for brooches with safety pin at back side), two rims, smaller for earrings. You will also need earrings for earrings – I used the usual, “hooks”, but if you’re used to others choose a more comfortable option for you. To clasp the necklace I used regular button – it allows you to fasten the product on the neck overlap.
- Epoxy – decoration master-class are made from it. It is sold in stores for creativity – do not try to buy the product with the same name in the construction: it’s not! The ready set includes: the actual epoxy resin, liquid hardener, two plastic measuring cups, two wooden spatula and plastic gloves. All useful! From myself I will add that perhaps you should arm yourself also with a disposable syringe without a needle – it is convenient to measure out very small portions of resin and hardener to form a mixture in correct proportions.
- Herbarium. The most interesting component of jewelry is made of epoxy resin – that is to say, the “filling”! Sassi small leaves, buds, petals , etc. – whatever you like – and don’t forget to correlate the size of the vegetation with diameter of frames to fill! By the way, it is not necessary to go to the flower shop for something a sort of luxury – a very nice and gentle can look like small leaves, field herbs and other “uncivilized” plants. Look closely to the lawns and lawns – leaves for your jewelry is made of epoxy resin I did find it, and in January! And especially lucky for those who have any flowering house plants (I have a pink Kalanchoe, donated one of his Bud for a Central element of the necklace). Put all this beauty in a thick book and wait for complete drying. If you fill with epoxy fresh flowers, they will look bright and vibrant for a few weeks, and then begin to rot right in the ornament – alas, then it will only have to throw away…
- Sewing thread, needle.
- A bit of colored paper – for use under dried flowers (same color, braid, or other – as guided by your sense of taste).
Sew the base of the necklace
Let’s start with the most simple – the choker. Measure tape around the circumference of your neck (lower part), with each part add about half an inch – on the foot rails to the edge is not “rained down”, and filed the edges. Then on each side sew a corresponding button element (“bulge” should be on the front, and cut — back tape).
Now turn the lace! Measure out and cut two lace strips along the length of the existing foundations of the necklace, and carefully sew them to her top and bottom on the front side. In my case the lace pattern clearly indicated a line for a seam – maybe you have some other option, but in any case, the seam should be as close to the edge of the braid – to avoid “wrinkles” and “waves”. Stitching here very carefully, with small stitches, keep, not contracted if the product. I prefer to perform such laborious work by hand, but if your skill will make is so smooth and neat seam on a typewriter – a flag in hands!
From the original cut lace should remain at least 2 segments – you will need them later for earrings!
Now do the bow on the necklace over it will be sewn to the piece with epoxy resin. Our task is to avoid the bulk of the knot and make the bow neat and symmetrical: therefore, it is better not to tie, sew! Take the rest of the braid (about 10-15 cm), fold it in half back side inside, and sew the two ends, departing from the fold about 10 cm Should make a loop with two free ends, 3-4 cm (from seam). “Flatten” the loop and make another seam in the middle so that it connected the top hinge and place the preceding seam. In short, the bow will appear on the middle connection and forms two loops at the sides. And to do this seam should be free, “forward a needle” to pull it and get the oversized bow! Ready? Sew the bow to the base of the necklace in the middle.
The most interesting casting of jewelry epoxy resin
So, you will need a table, covered with Newspapers in a few layers, and a room where you can ventilate while working, and periodically during drying.
Remember that epoxy resin in combination with hardener is very toxic – in any case, avoid getting it in eyes, it is undesirable – to the skin, not very useful and to breathe the fumes of the resin until it froze. Of course, it is impossible to taste it! All work with the resin should be carried out in plastic or rubber gloves!
So, where to start to create a piece of jewelry with epoxy? And you should start with drafting a “mini-still lifes” in the bars! Cut out of paper background for each frame, then take it out of dried plant material and place it into molds, just as plants should be located in the finished jewelry with epoxy! Don’t expect that will correct, will even it out a bit and doukomplektuet all this after filling (especially after hardening of the epoxy!). Then it will be much more difficult, there is a risk, one awkward movement to destroy the entire “ikebana”, alapati all around with epoxy (and it is not only poisonous, but still unpleasant money laundering furniture), etc.
And one more thing – at this particular decoration with epoxy (and indeed, almost any single mold, lenses, frame etc.) need very little resin with the hardener (but still be wrong in proportions not!). Therefore it is better to look at the matter realistically and to prepare at least a dozen molds to be poured – or will epoxy resin — creating the decoration of the master class, it will only throw a pity! According to the described technology you can create beautiful pendants, earrings, brooches, even the buttons – all of which are rim-blanks! “Filling”, except for the dried flowers can serve all the beads, sequins, feathers – Yes, even gears, and, you can pour some picture of the under frame.
Ready? Put on gloves and begin tinkering with epoxy! Take one of your measuring cups and measure out 3 ml of the hardener (1 part). If it is difficult to pour it from the neck of the bottle into the glass, you can use a syringe without a needle to set the fluid from the vial and pouring it into the Cup. Do not push the syringe sharply to avoid splashing (and the site sympaty.net keeps repeating that epoxy resin is toxic and harmful to eyes!). Next, do the same procedure with the epoxy – but it will need 6 ml (2 parts). It is better to use different measuring cups and put the resin and hardener until you’re sure of the correctness of metered dose!
When everything is ready, start to gradually mix both substances a wooden spatula – the mixture will be slightly viscous, but still liquid. Task – to mix evenlybut not stirring (otherwise may form small bubbles, and we don’t need them).
Then pour epoxy resin in jewelry: dial in a bit on the spatula and pour into molds. If this somehow “sailing away” flower arrangement, you can take a needle and correct while the resin is not frozen. Hands with gloves — do not remove them! Property of epoxy is a pretty good “surface tension”: when poured it can even on a flat surface to form spreading, not “lenses”. This plus that allows you to fill the bulging buds and so on. However, once dry, it is a little “settle”. It is desirable to fill all of the molds within half an hour from getting an epoxy mixture – then it becomes more viscous.
What’s next? Excitement: a sudden cured epoxy resin, and jewelry down the drain, ahhh!!! Why is it still liquid?!
How long to wait? After a couple hours my epoxy was the consistency of honey, flip the molds I would not dare, but she could not freely flow. After 12 hours the mold can be tilted to turn, but hands to the surface do not have to touch – will remain the fingerprints. Completely freezes all construction in about a day. And, the warmer the room, the faster the drying, for example, I have a faster dry molds lying on the windowsill above the battery.
The Assembly of parts
Frozen epoxy – master class in jewelry goes on!
With the necklace it’s really simple – if you initially selected a frame with a pin, just pin the brooch in the middle of the bow. If pins no – sew it to the bow of the openwork edge a few neat stitches. Done!
And over the earrings will have a little bit of magic. Cut the remaining lace in a single segment of the pattern (in my case this is a Lacy “tree”) and attach them to the frames of earrings from the bottom. If you select laced rims (or rims with a hole for hanging at the bottom) – the task is quite simple: lace you can just sew a thread to match. I needed three stitches to attach lace at three points.
You have it could be something like lace pendants pinned – if it is dictated by the pattern of the segment. If the initially selected frame with no holes, and from the idea of lace on the earrings not want to give up – stick it with a drop of superglue on the reverse side of the jewelry. Then attach the earrings to the earrings and the jewelry set is made of epoxy resin ready!
What to wear with this necklace?
This option is a necklace similar to barocci of the Victorian era. Something you can wear these ornaments with epoxy?
A very beautiful option for evening dress with bare shoulders or a plunging neckline! In a more everyday to a blouse without a collar, which opens up the neck, to the top or summer dress spaghetti straps. And you’ll always look unique!
Author – Dasha Blinova, site ToKnow365.top
Photos Dasha Blinova.
How to make jewelry with epoxy resin: a master class: necklace earrings