For centuries it vertical birth were considered traditional to give birth in a lying position women began not so long ago – just 2-3 centuries ago. Despite the fact that in modern obstetrics, it is customary to take birth in a horizontal position, today, many experts welcomed the birth in the squatting position, sitting or standing. Why? The answers to this and other questions associated with the vertical ones you’ll find on the women’s website “ToKnow365.top“.
Birth upright: posture and behavior of mothers
The main feature of vertical delivery is completely free behavior of mothers in the first, the longest stage of labor. As long as the cervix does not open completely, the woman can stand, walk, lie down, sit, presidet, take a shower or, if possible, even to swim.
In General, to do all that during labor will help to reduce their pain. Because the woman herself “cough medicine”, the epidural anesthesia in childbirth such almost never used.
In the second period, and when the birth of the fetus, the vertical childbirth poses as varied as in the first. At the first attempts the mother can kneel, presidet squat, just stand or sit in a special chair called a nursing chair.
Childbirth in a standing position taken at hot or regular bed. During the attempts the woman on her knees with her back to the doctor, grabbing on to the headboard of the bed and slightly leaning forward. On the bed is possible to give birth squatting.
Sitting or half-sitting woman is on the birthing chair, holding hands on the rails or rungs of the wall bars, if any. In this position, the woman sits facing the doctor, who, sitting beside him on a low stool, watching the physiological course of childbirth.
In the normal course of childbirth, the midwife takes the child and sends his mother, if there is a need for medical intervention, the woman immediately translates in a horizontal position, i.e. placed on the bed.
In the third stage of labor from a standing position, the woman goes into a sitting position and puts the newborn to a breast. When the baby suckles, the uterus is reduced more effectively, which in combination with the force of gravity assists in the separation of the placenta and the placenta.
Standing childbirth: benefits
- In vertical position the uterus, the weight of which together with all its content reaches 5-7 kg, no pressure on the inferior Vena cava, it significantly reduces the risk of development of fetal hypoxia. In this position, the uterus does not interfere with the lungs, which makes breathing mothers more free.
- Is reduced first, the most painful stage of labor on average for 2-3 hours.
- Sympaty.net again emphasizes: free behavior in childbirth allows the woman to do everything to make the contractions were less painful that almost completely eliminates the need for painkillers.
- The risk of birth trauma for mother and child is minimal. Coordinated work of the pelvic floor, the muscles of the anterior abdominal wall, skeletal muscles and the force of gravity minimizes the muscle tension of the pelvic floor of the mother and the child moves slowly through the birth canal. Because the fetus moves slowly birth canal gradually stretch and adapt to the size of his head.
- Reduced physiological blood loss due to more rapid separation and delivery of the placenta.
- Vertically deliveries by a smooth and less painful passing of a baby through the birth canal has a positive impact on its further development: higher in Apgar, a good momentum of weight, ahead of its horizontally-born peers in psychomotor development.
However, all the advantages of these genera are apparent only in the case of normally proceeding childbirth. If in one period there are any complications, the woman will be laid on the bed, and further delivery will occur in a horizontal position.
Like all alternative childbirth, delivery in the upright position there are contraindications:
- heart disease and blood vessels mothers;
- varicose veins of the lower extremities;
- severe forms of gestosis.
- chronic fetal hypoxia;
- premature and rapid delivery;
- indications for surgical intervention.
These contraindications are due to the fact that under such conditions the mother or child at any time, you may need medical help, to provide which can be only in horizontal position.
Standing childbirth: reviews
When reading the article may give the impression that of all the types of alternative delivery vertical is the best. However, come to this or the opposite conclusion is possible only if most to give birth or vertically to read the reviews of those who have already done it.
- The third I had a vertical birth, opinion about them can only leave positive. All the time while was in labor, went down the hall, to lie and never could. Gave birth to a little chair, a seat carved with a Crescent moon. Next to the stool sat the doctor and everything is fine seen. The placenta is also on this throne was born. The birth went just fine, but push on the chair was much easier, so I have something to compare! Olga.
- It was my first birth, I thought that tear apart, and the child came out and I broke up. To give birth was easy, can feel malisic helps you with all its force of gravity. Xue.
- I do not know anyone it will be easier. When the first birth, 18 hours walked me so it was easier. To give birth to head start standing, but continue to stand at me already forces was not – finished to give birth on the bed. And the second time never even got to his feet, he could not have hurt in the crotch, so I gave birth in bed. By the way, very quickly, literally within 3 hours. Mariana.
- As I lay down, I ceased to feel the baby, so that gave birth sitting, and even felt him moving inside, hurrying to a meeting with mummy. Inna.
- My vertical was the second childbirth, the first is the traditional one. How best not to tell him. Childbirth is generally not an easy process. Probably was a little easier than the first time, but the baby was much bigger than the first one, so broke. As for me, no matter what way to give birth, as long as the baby was born healthy. Magnolia.
- The second time I gave birth upright on a chair, like a horseshoe. It was much easier, and childbirth felt better, although the child was born as much as half a kilo more than the first. Wiki.
- Gave birth to the third standing – a complete delight! The battles were not hurt themselves the delivery was faster and easier compared to the previous, and any gap, even old joints are not cracked! I want to give birth again and, if there are no contraindications, only vertically! Galina.
- Gave birth squatting, tears was not, she took the child in his arms, well, then the doctors. Chulpan.
- When I gave birth, the baby’s head could not come “to the door”. Sat on his haunches and the process has begun. The baby’s fine and breaks too. Jeanne.
Naturalness – that’s what distinguishes vertical delivery from other kinds of delivery: it seems as if nature itself has taken care of that woman, taking a vertical position, was safely delivered of your burdens. But for more confidence in the successful outcome you need to give birth under the supervision of doctors, no matter in what position – vertical or horizontal – you want to do it.
The author – Tatiana konopacka, site ToKnow365.top
Vertical delivery: easier to give birth standing up?