Today, increasingly, we hear about the emotional abuse at work. And if until recently we didn’t know how to “call” the phenomenon of employee in the team in the literal sense of the word poison, forcing him to retire from work, but now this form of psychological terror has a very specific name – mobbing.
In Europe, where we are and it is negative there are a number of laws protecting employees from harassment in the workplace, but we have such a working relationship yet not regulated.
That’s why women’s website “ToKnow365.top” and decided to tell his readers how to behave with colleagues, to subsequently become a victim of their machinations and intrigues and, if necessary, to oppose the mobbers.
What is mobbing at work?
This phenomenon was first investigated in Sweden in the early 1980s.
Psychologist and scientist Dr. Heinz Lehman described it as one of the forms of psychological terror that manifests itself in the unethical relation to one or more colleagues, directed against another person. The goal is to force unwanted employees to quit, not using administrative resources (reduction, dismissal).
Scientist have identified 45 variations of psychoterror, the most common of which are the following:
- the humiliation of the kind the employee’s name by slander, gossip, insults;
- ignoring the officer, avoiding contact with him;
- the deliberate concealment of official information;
- humiliating criticism of the quality of work they performed;
- the unfair abuse (usually from the side of the head);
- ignoring success and.
Today, when the desire to make a career at any cost is the norm, and ordinary human relationships gradually fade into the background, the problem of mobbing is particularly relevant. Emotional abuse at work in our country is immune neither a civil servant nor an employee of a private company.
And all because to prove this phenomenon is almost impossible, and to prove the complete absence of legal norms in this matter gives the mobbers opportunities for the survival of disagreeable colleagues.
It is customary to distinguish several varieties of mobbing in the workplace:
- horizontal: aggression comes from colleagues;
- vertical: attacks exposed a subordinate from the bosses or, on the contrary, the head of his subordinates;
- sandwich mobbing – the most severe form of moral pressure: aggression at the same time comes from colleagues and from management.
How to avoid becoming a victim of mobbing?
The object of psychological harassment can be absolutely any employee, regardless of age, seniority and experience. This will help avoid recommendations from Sympaty.net, following which you will be able to protect themselves from possible aggression from peers.
- Be equally friendly with all the staff.
- Do not show your intellectual or other superiority over colleagues. You can always find the Golden mean between being myself and at the same time not stand out from the team.
- Sitting on a new job, ask colleagues about the traditions of the team and follow them. You know, another monastery…
- Participate in informal communication, but avoid spreading gossip: otherwise it will turn against you in the near future.
- To combat mobbing will be easier if you will have a head, so faithfully work for the benefit of the company, and he just did not want to lose a valuable resource.
- Anyone do not humiliate and do not allow to humiliate itself. If the situation demands it, and you can “teeth show”.
- Avoid bragging – don’t provoke the envy and aggression, especially in the women’s team.
- Don’t flirt at work, otherwise you can easily end up being enemies among the female colleagues.
- Immediately stop attempts of colleagues to “get” you: find out what they (he/she) have done. Talking, be confident and calm, in any case, do not Crouch, or else it will be regarded as weakness and will trigger a stream of new attacks.
How to deal with mobbing?
Felt all the “charms” of moral pressure from peers, analyze the situation and understand the reasons that caused such an attitude to you.
Perhaps you are somehow provoked colleagues on aggression, therefore, calmly analyze the situation and try to understand why as a victim mobbers chose you.
- In the first stage, try to identify the instigator and talk to him. Even if so, you will not be able to resolve the conflict, you will be able to understand his motives, and this will depend on the strategy of the fight against mobbing.
- Concurrently select colleagues, who in the persecution do not participate, and try to establish good relations with them – so it will be easier to survive this difficult time. And the aggressor may knock it down a peg, seeing that you have a “support group”.
- Focus on the performance of the duties of professional perfection can stop mobbing at the very beginning. But any “puncture” for mobber will be a balm for the heart and another reason to humiliate you in front of colleagues and superiors.
- In an open confrontation never crevices to cry. This circumstance mobber sure to wrap in its favor: pretend to be the victim and you’re angry fury. It is easy to guess which side will rise colleagues.
- Show reciprocal aggression. Most often it is triggered at the beginning of the persecution in the case in which the victim was chosen in the hope that she will not be able to protect yourself when mobbing. He saw before him a strong opponent, mobber can immediately retreat.
- Turn the aggressor into its ally. Get over yourself and turn to him for advice on work, let him know you value his help. And as soon as there will be a contact, call him a Frank conversation. Certainly, after the joint action, it will not be so aggressive to you configured, and you will be able to disarm. Oddly enough, but this method works in most cases.
- If it is not possible to cope with mobbing, you can refer to senior management. However Sympaty.net advises high hopes for his boss. First, he may be interested in your dismissal; secondly, he can be no matter what is the relationship between the subordinates: in the third place, the team will regard you as a “Snitch” and even more you angry. But if you’re really a valuable employee, whose departure from the company may adversely affect its activities, this method could work.
When the incessant mobbing psychologists advise to change jobs. In some cases, dismissal is the best way out of the situation.
Than to endure the regular humiliation and insults from colleagues, and thus undermine their health, isn’t it better to direct their emotional and physical strength to find new company and new colleagues?
The author –Tatiana konopacka, site ToKnow365.top
What is mobbing and how to deal with it?