Every mother cares for her baby, even for the one who is not yet born, and strives to protect it from possible hardship in any way. One is the intake and storage of umbilical cord blood.
Women’s website “ToKnow365.top” will help you understand why you need cord blood and whether to keep the placenta after birth.
Umbilical cord blood: application
Once the birth is over, the cord blood is taken. Isolated from it the cells that will be subsequently frozen and stored in a special Bank.
Their value lies in the content of stem cells from umbilical cord blood. In the future they might be useful for transplantation or cell therapy.
Save the placenta can be for yourself or for donation. Doing it in the banks of the placenta.
Network of banks-registers, storing the donor cells, is not well developed in Russia, so they often search for blood have to do abroad, resulting in temporary losses and large financial expenditure.
If you maintain the blood at birth, it can save lives in the future, because this blood is guaranteed to fit your master.
Features cord blood
Umbilical cord blood contains biologically active cells necessary for violation of hematopoiesis, namely in leukemia or problems with the immune system. In the future, doctors hope to expand the range of its medical applications. Today there are examples of saving lives through the use of the placenta.
Unlike other sources of hematopoietic cells in cord blood has the following advantages:
- The fence is carried out immediately after birth — consequently, cells possess high functionality.
- You can get them absolutely safe and the process of obtaining is simple.
- High immunological compatibility with the recipient.
- The placenta is able to take advantage of next-of-kin of the baby (which is especially important for brothers and sisters).
Storage of cord blood is recommended for people with serious hereditary diseases, as well as those who have the family already has a sick child.
The storage of umbilical cord blood: pros and cons
Stem cells from umbilical cord blood will be guaranteed for 15 years. Female site Sympaty.net found that some banks offer to keep them after giving birth at 20 years or more, but there is no evidence that umbilical cord blood are able to maintain their properties over this period.
Although umbilical cord cells under the contract belong to the parents until the child turned 18, some banks only give it to the doctor who will conduct the transplant. This is due to some paperwork.
But over time, this process is not longer than the search for a donor.
The cost of the procedure different in different hospitals. On average, it costs about 100 thousand rubles for the fence and about 3000 – 4000 RUB. per year of storage. The contract is signed for several years to come, the money is usually paid two or three parts.
Consensus on whether to store the placenta is not.
That’s what women say about this procedure:
- Amount for us was small, therefore decided with her husband to go to the procedure. The process itself was really painless. I hope that our little son this cord blood is not useful, but I feel safer. Oksana, 24 years.
- When I gave birth 7 years ago, this procedures haven’t been so popular, and sorry. The son of leukemia, donor’s almost impossible to find money for treatment out a bunch, and it is not clear what helps and what doesn’t. If you ever decide on a second child, will certainly retain the placenta. Valentina, 31 years.
- Perhaps this prejudice and zabubony, but I don’t want to think about that with the baby something will happen in the future. If there are genetic problems, then, perhaps, you should take care to stem cells. In our family there are none, because I don’t see the point in wasting money on the storage of umbilical cord blood, which is not likely to be required. Olga, 34 years.
How to prepare for the cord blood sampling?
Even being pregnant, you need to visit the Bank the placenta. The doctors will run tests and conclude a Treaty. Professionals need to prepare for your birth in advance to bring in your hospital kit for cord blood sampling, discuss all the details with the obstetrician who will be delivering your baby.
When you start the fight, you need to tell the Bank about it. For this there is round-the-clock phones.
Cord blood sampling and stem cell release
Process collection of the placenta is as follows. The umbilical cord is crossed, then treated with a sterile solution. Using a needle takes the blood from the umbilical vein and placed in a sterile container with anticoagulant. The volume of withdrawn blood usually reaches 80-100 ml.
The procedure will not cause discomfort to the mother. It can be carried out regardless of whether a normal birth or a caesarean was carried out.
If you are expecting twins or fraternal twins, the doctor can do a blood sampling of each fetus separately.
The Bank of placenta your samples fall during the day. Before you preserve it, the blood is subjected to a thorough check for infections. Checked group, RH factor, blood stem cells is isolated.
Here’s how this process occurs:
Concentrate usually takes about 7 tubes, also harvested a few other, containing at least erythrocytes and plasma. This kind of probes to be used for analysis, if the relatives of the child will need his cord blood.
To resort to the storage of umbilical cord blood is up to the expectant mother. Making a decision, you need to examine your family tree for hereditary diseases, and to analyze the budget, because, in spite of the single payment, the service remains expensive.
Author – Lydia Karant, site ToKnow365.top
Whether to save umbilical cord blood?